Coffeepreneur

Discovering what it takes to roast and sell fine fair trade coffee beans.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Siloam Springs, AR, United States

Join me as I follow my love for coffee into my first entrepreneurial venture. I'm sharing my vision, my excitement and what I learn along the way. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

December 27, 2008

Clarification

I realized after my first post that I could be a little more specific as to what my direction is. I'm starting on a home roaster (my Behmor) to get a feel for things. I want to learn the nuances associated with different roast times and temps for different origins and I want to better understand everything that goes into a finished product. I know it would be silly for me to just decide that I'm a competent enough roaster to grab a commercial machine and go to town selling crappy coffee willy-nilly. I recognize that I have so much to learn.

Earlier today I stumbled upon Daniel Humphries' blog. He's the founder of the New York Coffee Society and apparently an elbow-rubbing coffee guru with an obsession for El Salvadorian coffees. I love his picturesque writing and all of the things he gave me to Google from his blog. I think I'll be referring back to him more often.

Tonight, I called my mother-in-law, who was in El Salvador last month to visit a former exchange student. While there she had an opportunity to tour a coffee plantation, take part in a cupping, and meet the woman who owns the Monte Sion coffee plantations. I, of course, was extremely jealous! I can't wait for the day when I can travel to plantations and hob-nob with the people who have put their sweat into the beans I taste (not exactly the best word picture for flavor, hmm). I want to see their lifestyle and hear the stories of how getting fair market prices for their coffee has improved the quality of life in their communities.

I get so excited about all of this. My road will be long, I know, but I guess that's why it's such a good idea to start on it today.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what's cupping?

I am so glad that you are learning the right way! You're off to a great start! :)

December 29, 2008 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Tracy Little said...

Cupping is the method used by people in the coffee world to determine the flavor, fragrance and aroma profiles of a bean. Roast can determine some of that, but most of those characteristics rely on the quality of the bean and it's origin. It's kind of like the idea behind wine tasting. For more on cupping, check this out: http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/cupping.htm

December 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web counter html code
myspace web counter